Opened in October 2013, The Wollongong Homeless Hub is a one-stop-shop for homelessness resources.
Clients are able to access multiple agencies from a single point. Computers, photocopiers, fax machines and telephones are offered free of charge to people accessing services. Community engagement officers are available for support and other support services are also available to clients.
The homeless hub is located at 24 Kenny Street Wollongong and can be called on (02) 4228 0955
Wollongong Homeless Hub has developed a number of ongoing projects including, Community Mover’s, the first purpose built shower and laundry and Breakfast Program, these programs run from the one location to help further support the homeless.
The Wollongong Homeless Hub is an integral part of the Illawarra region, which helps and supports people in crisis. Wollongong Homeless Hub assist many different client groups including people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, Indigenous, refugees, new settlement, youth and those who have considerable barriers to obtaining private housing such as women and children fleeing domestic violence, single parent families, those recovering from drug or alcohol addiction, those living with mental health.
The Wollongong Homeless Hub provides a unique service for their clients, which includes:
- Face-to-face and telephone support so people in crisis can get seamless, integrated assistance and access to the most appropriate service to meet their needs.
- We provide access to funded homelessness, health, legal, housing, financial, advocacy and support services in Wollongong, to give a true service of integration and holistic outcomes for people at risk.
- Referrals to appropriate services to help prevent client fatigue and having to repeatedly tell their story.
- Centrelink and other agencies will attend the Hub at various times.
- Illawarra Tenancy advice attends the Hub 3 days per week.
- Our service provides the first purpose built shower and laundry for homeless people of all ages.
- We provide breakfast Monday to Friday through our breakfast program.
- We provide the world’s first low-cost removalist service through ‘Community Mover’s’
- Assistance with searching for private rentals, including access to computers, photocopier, telephones, fax and email.
- Workshops are run on site regularly: ‘Rent it Keep it’, the new ‘Keep it, Money Minded’, Wellness days and Craft Mornings.
- Culturally specific workers will be available at regular times.
- Referral and advocacy.
Clients at ‘The Hub’ are able to access multiple agencies from a single point. Computers, photocopiers, fax machines and telephones are offered free of charge to people accessing services. Community engagement officers are available for support and other support services are also available to clients.
Community Movers is a low-cost removalist service to help those who are forced to constantly move in and out of accommodation, as well as individuals or companies requiring a removalist service on a budget rate.
The service offers:
- Pickup and delivery from Nowra to Sydney
- 1 hour minimum per job
- We pick up and deliver small and large jobs
The service also aims in the future to be used as an employment training initiative for long term unemployed. A mentor will work with clients of the service and provide training. This will hopefully ensure they break the homeless cycle.
Community Movers was recently set up at the end of 2014 as an initiative of Wollongong Emergency Family Housing to help fund the self sustainability of our Homeless Hub. The initiative came about due to the major cuts and loss of funding. 100% of profits from this program go directly to fund the Homeless Hub.
Wollongong Homeless Hub has built the first purpose built shower and laundry for homeless people of all ages in the Illawarra. The shower and laundry was built due to the need for having a resource so that people who have hit hard times are able to wash and clean the little clothes they have. It gives people back their dignity.
Our Breakfast Program, operates Monday to Friday 9am – 10am. The program runs through the kindness and generosity of our volunteers and people in the Illawarra region donating bread, tin food.
The program encourages clients to volunteer in the Breakfast Program and attain the ‘Food and Safe Handling’ certificate. In doing this it gives our clients additional skills, knowledge and confidence to enter the workforce or further their training.
Additionally we offer a regular craft table for children and a free haircut day every six weeks. Throughout the new year, the hub will be expanding with a range of workshops delivered free of charge for participants.
When available, we offer 'rough-sleeper' kits, toiletry and food packages.