The Wollongong Homeless Hub is a program of Wollongong Emergency Family Housing and provides assistance to those who are homeless or at imminent risk of homelessness. The Homeless Hub is a vibrant busy service and is funded by Family and Community Services through Service Support Funding. The role of our organisation is to fill the current gaps in the homelessness sector. WEFH also provides transitional accommodation for families and individuals in crisis.
We are currently seeking a passionate individual to join our Homeless Hub Team in Wollongong. A dedicated Support Worker, committed to engaging with and assisting people who are homeless, or at risk of homelessness.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM AND ROLE
Our Homeless Hub is the first point of contact with our clients. The role of staff in this team is to provide information, referrals and support to assist families and individuals to find short term and long term, secure and affordable housing. The service is high volume, responding to the needs of homeless people, many of whom are experiencing crisis. Therefore, we are looking for people who can work under pressure with the ability to make sound decisions quickly. Our work day may include assisting to cook and serve breakfast, dealing with crisis, organising housing applications or taking part on front desk intake – you will never feel bored!
To be successful in this role, you will be empathetic and able to relate effectively and sensitively to people from diverse backgrounds. A track record of working well in a team environment is also vital. You will be tertiary qualified in human services or other relevant discipline and have a comprehensive understanding of the issues which those experiencing homelessness confront. This exciting and challenging position offers applicants the opportunity to build and empower the lives of people experiencing homelessness!
THE KEY RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE ROLE WILL INCLUDE
- Work collaboratively with staff and other service delivery teams to enhance access, effectiveness and quality of service delivery and client outcomes.
- Support the implementation and maintenance review of service programs.
- Ensure support work delivered by the team using a holistic person centred approach.
- Experience working with vulnerable families and individuals
- Minimum Diploma Qualifications and relevant experience in the Community Services sector in particular working with the homeless, relevant experience in the humanities.
- Experience working with vulnerable families and individuals and understanding of the issues associated with homelessness
- Demonstrated experience in case planning, including with persons with complex needs (e.g drug and alcohol issues along with homelessness, mental health, contact with criminal justice system).
- Proven ability to work from a trauma informed approach including with persons who may present with complex issues and challenging behaviours.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Competency with MS Office Programs including experience in computerised data collection.
- Knowledge of current legislation of mandatory reporting
- Sound knowledge of, and an ability to access, a range of relevant community resources, particularly in the areas of drug and alcohol services, mental health, legal assistance, income support, employment services, training and accommodation, family assistance and permanent housing options.
- Knowledge and experience of liaising with Government and community based organisations and resources
- Proven ability to work as part of a team, take direction from supervisor and also to work autonomously and make decisions as required.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast paced environment and deal with competing demands
- Knowledge of current Work Health and Safety Legislation
- Current, unencumbered NSW Drivers Licence.
- Demonstrated group work skills
- Experience in social or affordable housing (preferred)
- Experience working within a drop in service environment.
The successful applicant will be paid under Social Community Home Care and Disability Services Industry Award (SCHCADS) Level 3.1 (grade 2 year 1) to Level 4.1 (grade 3 year 1) based upon experience /qualifications and is eligible for Salary Sacrifice. Hours: 35 hours per week
- This position will be based within the Homeless Hub with occasional appointments and support requirements off site.
- Physical requirements: The ability to lift and carry allowable weight amounts
APPLY FOR THIS JOB
Should you decide to apply for a position your application should consist of three parts, which are:
Part 1 Cover letter
A cover letter stating the name of the position that you are applying for and a brief summary of your skills, experience and knowledge that are relevant to that position.
Part 2 Statement addressing the selection criteria
A statement addressing each of the selection criteria must be provided with your application. Each position has a specific selection criteria and it is necessary to address that criteria should you wish to be considered for the position. When addressing the selection criteria you should give examples from your previous work that demonstrates how you meet the relevant criteria. You should state how your experience, skills and knowledge enable you to satisfy the selection criteria.
Each essential and desirable criteria MUST be answered
Part 3 Resume
A copy of your current resume must be provided with your application. Your resume should include your contact details and educational qualifications. It should list your previous employers, how long you worked for each employer and a summary of the main duties that you performed at each place of employment. Your resume should also include the contact details of at least current/recent two work related referees.
Submitting your application:
Your application must be submitted by close of business on Sunday 13 October 2019 at midnight. Applications after that date WILL NOT be considered.
If you would like additional information regarding this role, please contact Mandy Booker – General Manager Wollongong Emergency Family Housing email@example.com
Applicants must have the right to work in Australia and must hold or obtain a Working with Children Check and will need to complete relevant police checks.
WEFH is an Equal Opportunity employer. This includes people with a disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders, culturally, religiously and linguistically diverse people, young people, older people, women, and people who identify as gay, lesbian, bisexual,
Applications addressed to: The General Manager Private and Confidential and emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org